FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 21, 2016
Following his second place finish in South Carolina last night, NARAL Pro-Choice America is extending their ad buy hitting the newly crowned “establishment candidate” Marco Rubio for his extreme and out of touch stance on abortion that would even deny abortion to women who are survivors of rape and incest.
The ad, which was first released immediately following the New Hampshire primary, will now be extended to run on national cable an additional week. You can watch the ad below.
“Voters should not be fooled, the so-called ‘establishment candidate’ is just as extreme as Trump or Cruz,” said Joel Foster, National Political Director of NARAL Pro-Choice America. “Rubio would deny abortion to all Americans, even those who are survivors of rape and incest. While Rubio may try to portray himself as some sort of new generation of Republican, his position on abortion is from the dark ages and is far more extreme than even many of his Republican colleagues. Rubio has made his priorities clear. But the facts are clear, 7 in 10 Americans believe abortion should be legal and Marco Rubio’s priorities are not America’s priorities.”
Facts about Rubio’s extreme record:
- He would deny abortion care to survivors of rape and incest;
- He authored and voted for legislation that would impose a new and impossibly complex national mandate on doctors and young women who are seeking abortion;
- He repeatedly voted to allow employers and/or providers to refuse to provide or cover medical treatment, such as contraception or abortion care;
- He voted against allowing the District of Columbia to use its own locally raised revenue to provide funding for abortion services to Medicaid-eligible women;
- He voted for a measure banning medically appropriate abortion care as early as 20 weeks without an adequate exception to protect a woman’s health;
- He voted to defund Planned Parenthood;
- He voted to uphold a policy that bans overseas health clinics from receiving U.S. family-planning aid if they use their own funds to provide legal abortion services, give referrals, or even take a public pro-choice position;
- He voted to defund the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), an organization that provides family-planning services–not abortion–for the world’s poorest women;
- He voted against a measure calling on Congress to increase funds for women’s health services.
More on Rubio here: https://ownit2016.com/candidates/rubio/
Marco Rubio: thin record, clear priorities.
He introduced a bill allowing bosses to deny birth control coverage to their employees.
He repeatedly voted to de-fund Planned Parenthood, which provides vital healthcare to millions of Americans.
Worse yet, Rubio not only opposes abortion, but goes further than most Republicans.
He’d ban abortion even in the case of rape and incest.
He’s shown his priorities.
The question is, are they yours?
NARAL Pro-Choice America is responsible for the content.