FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 22, 2016
Plan would gut health care coverage for women and families
NARAL Pro-Choice America today responded to the House GOP’s health care proposal, which would wreak havoc on American women and families by making it harder to access contraception, maternity care, and abortion. Under the Affordable Care Act, millions of women have gained affordable and comprehensive health insurance coverage for the first time. The House GOP proposal would reverse this progress, leaving women and families without quality care.
Said Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, “Paul Ryan is right when he claims that a ‘confident America’ is one where ‘every American has access to quality, affordable health care. But the proposal he and his fellow House Republicans laid out today does nothing to work toward that goal. Eliminating the guarantee of coverage for maternal health care and birth control means not only aren’t women receiving quality health care but they’re damned if they don’t want to get pregnant and damned if they do. Period.
“House Republicans keep claiming they care about women’s health, but their hypocrisy is on full display when their ‘plans’ do nothing but obliterate meaningful health care coverage for women and families. And frankly, how ‘pro-life’ can you really be when your policies make life miserable for families across the country? Total and utter hypocrisy.”
The House GOP proposal does the following to harm women’s health care:
- Dismantles the ACA, which would end guaranteed contraceptive and maternity care coverage.
- Expands upon laws that let health care companies discriminate against women.
- Allows states to reject abortion providers from the Medicaid program, which is a direct violation of current federal law.
- Imposes a tax penalty on women who choose abortion coverage.
- Renews GOP commitment to the discriminatory Hyde amendment, which restricts abortion so it’s not truly a right every woman can access.