FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 6, 2017
As the nation’s top lawyer, the attorney general has a duty to uphold the rights of all Americans. Sen. Jeff Sessions’ long record of misogyny and racism shows just how big a threat he will pose to the freedom and equality of everyone in our country—particularly women and people of color—if he is confirmed to this position.
Jeff Sessions has spent his career trying to push his anti-choice, anti-woman, and anti-equality agenda on women by:
- Repeatedly voting to allow convicted perpetrators of anti-abortion violence and harassment to evade financial responsibility for their illegal activities by declaring bankruptcy
- Voting for the unconstitutional 20-week ban on abortion
- Supporting efforts to deny millions access to vital health care by voting to defund Planned Parenthood and against protections against anti-abortion clinic violence
- Repeatedly voting against a resolution in support of Roe v. Wade and a woman’s constitutional right to safe and legal abortion services
- Repeatedly voting for the Federal Abortion Ban, a law that criminalizes some abortion services, with no exception to protect a woman’s health, and carries up to a two-year prison sentence for doctors
- Supporting the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, which has greatly improved women’s access to basic health care by ensuring coverage and affordability of maternity care, family-planning services, and other reproductive-health services
- Repeatedly voting to allow a broad range of individuals and institutions—including, hospitals, hospital employees, health-care providers, employers, and/or insurers—to refuse to provide or cover medical treatment, such as contraception or abortion care
- Repeatedly voting to deny women in the military – who defend our freedom overseas – the right to use their own, private funds for abortion care at military hospitals
- Voting to block low-income women from getting abortion services in most cases
- Voting to make anti-choice “crisis pregnancy centers,” many of which mislead, misinform, harass, and intimidate women, eligible for taxpayer funding.
- Voting to eliminate the Title X family-planning program, which provides millions of women with health-care services ranging from birth control to breast cancer screenings
If you would like to talk with a NARAL spokesperson about Jeff Sessions and his anti-choice record, please email email@example.com.