For Immediate Release: April 15, 2020
Contact: [email protected]
Candidates Earn Endorsement from Nation’s Leading Pro-Choice Advocacy Group
NARAL Pro-Choice America today announced its endorsement of five candidates running to challenge anti-choice incumbents or to flip open seats in Congress: Jackie Gordon (NY-02), Michigan state Representative Jon Hoadley (MI-06), Carolyn Long (WA-03), Kathy Manning (NC-06), and former North Carolina state Representative Deborah Ross (NC-02). All five candidates are seeking seats currently held or being vacated by anti-choice Republicans.
“As the anti-choice radical right continues their crusade to end legal abortion by any means necessary, Americans deserve Congressional leaders who will fight to defend our freedom to make personal decisions about pregnancy without interference from politicians,” said Ilyse Hogue, President of NARAL Pro-Choice America. “NARAL is proud to endorse five outstanding candidates who, in the face of relentless attacks on reproductive freedom, can be trusted to stand up against anti-choice extremists and serve as unwavering champions for women and families.”
- Jackie Gordon (NY-02) is a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel and Babylon Town Board member seeking to flip the seat being vacated by retiring anti-choice Republican Rep. Peter King.
- Jon Hoadley (MI-06) currently represents Michigan’s 60th House District and is now seeking to unseat anti-choice incumbent Republican Rep. Fred Upton, who has consistently earned a 0% score from NARAL in the Congressional Record on Choice.
- Carolyn Long (WA-03) is a college professor, author, and former journeyman with UFCW Local 555. She is seeking to unseat anti-choice incumbent Republican Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, who earned a 0% score from NARAL in the 2019 Congressional Record on Choice.
- Kathy Manning (NC-06) is an attorney and Greensboro community leader. She is seeking to flip the seat being vacated by anti-choice Republican incumbent Rep. Mark Walker.
- Deborah Ross (NC-02) is a former Majority Whip and member of the North Carolina General Assembly, representing the state’s 38th and 34th House Districts. She is now seeking to fill the seat being vacated by anti-choice Republican Rep. George E.B. Holding.
NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates and chapters are dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all. For more than 50 years, NARAL has worked to guarantee that every woman has the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. Since 1969, NARAL has made history, grown to over 2.5 million members, and met the moments that have defined this fight with action, power, and freedom. In recognition of its work defending our constitutional right to choose, Fortune Magazine described NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”