For Immediate Release: August 4, 2020
Contact: [email protected]
WASHINGTON, DC — Today, NARAL Pro-Choice America launched a new podcast, The Lie That Binds, following the recent publication of NARAL President Ilyse Hogue’s book by the same name, co-authored with NARAL Research Director Ellie Langford. A companion piece to the new best-selling book by Hogue and Langford, The Lie That Binds is a six-part limited podcast series that retraces how the Radical Right weaponized reproductive freedom in order to rig the political system in their favor.
The podcast expands upon the book’s narrative by digging into the details and featuring the perspectives and voices of NARAL’s allies, experts and friends including Stacey Abrams, Loretta Ross, Pamela Merritt, Dahlia Lithwick and Brianna Wu. With the most significant election in a generation just months away, The Lie that Binds provides a critical inside look at how the Radical Right politically weaponized abortion and the anti-choice movement helped usher Trump to victory in 2016. It also serves as a cautionary tale for how to avoid overlooking the centrality of the anti-choice political machine to the Radical Right coalition, and elect champions for reproductive freedom and democracy up and down the ballot in 2020.
The first two episodes of this six-part podcast series, produced by Clinton Foundation Podcast lead producer Jackie Danziger, are available today for download here:
Episode One: The Trojan Horse explores the surprising roots of the anti-choice movement in the school desegregation case, Brown vs. Board of Education. It’s a story about the early leaders of the Radical Right who tapped into segregationist racism to transform evangelicals into a terrifying political coalition.
Special guests: Stacey Abrams (founder of Fair Fight and Fair Count), Loretta Ross (Author, Professor, and Reproductive Justice activist), Linda Greenhouse (Senior Research Scholar, Yale Law School), and Karen Muhlhauser (former president of NARAL)
Episode Two: The Tightrope unpacks how the Radical Right spent decades spinning lies into what they’ve now branded as “alternative facts,” in order to confuse Americans out of their civil liberties.
Special guests: Stacey Abrams (founder of Fair Fight and Fair Count), Imani Gandy (Senior Editor Legal and Policy, Rewire.News, podcast host: Boom Lawyered), Loretta Ross (Author, Professor, and Reproductive Justice activist), Laura Bassett (political columnist at GQ), and Karen Muhlhauser (former president of NARAL)
New episodes will be available weekly on Tuesdays through September 1st and will feature interviews with:
- Amanda Marcotte (Politics Writer for Salon; author of Troll Nation)
- Angelo Carusone (President and CEO of Media Matters)
- Brianna Wu (Former 2020 Candidate for US House in Massachusetts).
- Dahlia Lithwick (Senior Editor and Legal Correspondent for Slate; podcast host: Amicus)
- David S. Cohen (Author of Obstacle Course: The Everyday Struggle to Get an Abortion in America)
- Imani Gandy (Senior Legal Analyst at Rewire News, podcast host: Boom Lawyered)
- Karen Muhlhauser (former president of NARAL)
- Laura Bassett (Political Columnist at GQ)
- Linda Greenhouse (Senior Research Scholar, Yale Law School)
- Loretta Ross (Author, Professor, and Reproductive Justice activist)
- Melissa Ryan (writer of newsletter “Ctrl Alt-Right Delete”)
- Pamela Merritt (co-founder / co-director ReproAction)
- Stacey Abrams (Founder and CEO of Fair Fight and Fair Count)
- Vanita Gupta (President and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights)
- Wendy Davis (Former Texas State Senator and 2020 Congressional Candidate)
More information about Ilyse Hogue and Ellie Langford’s new book, The Lie That Binds, is available here: https://theliethatbinds.com/.
Since its release on July 22nd, The Lie That Binds, the untold story of the anti-choice movement, skyrocketed to the top of the charts: reaching #4 on Barnes & Noble’s website last week, and labelled as a Bestseller. The Lie That Binds is featured on Book Authority’s list of best new political books in 2020, reached #1 for Amazon Kindle downloads, and is currently sold out at Target.
Watch Ilyse discuss her book with CBS News’ Elaine Quijano here
NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates and chapters are dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all. For more than 50 years, NARAL has worked to guarantee that every woman has the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. Since 1969, NARAL has made history, grown to over 2.5 million members, and met the moments that have defined this fight with action, power and freedom. In recognition of its work defending our constitutional right to choose, Fortune Magazine described NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”